Today’s vehicles need a motor oil that keeps pace with their changing demands and does more to improve performance and engine life. This is why Shell designed an entirely new way to produce synthetic base oils from natural gas instead of crude oil using Shell’s patented Shell PurePlus Technology.
Shell PurePlus Technology is a revolutionary process which converts natural gas into a crystalclear base oil with virtually none of the impurities found in crude oil. Base oil is the main ingredient of a lubricant and this technology results in a 99.5% pure base oil that enables higher levels of cleansing and protection. This base oil is in Shell Helix Ultra with PurePlus Technology – Shell’s most advanced motor oil and the first ever motor oil made from natural gas. It works hard to protect the engine and deliver great performance even on demanding drives. It also offers a number of other important benefits for the engine:
• Unsurpassed Sludge Protection – preventing dirt build-up with exceptional cleaning power The formula features a unique and powerful combination of Shell PurePlus Technology with high performance additives. This means that no other motor oil cleans the engine better1; it not only helps prevent dirt particles from sticking together to form sludge, which can seriously impact engine power, but it also protects the engine from harmful deposits that can affect the car’s performance.
• Less top-up A low evaporation formula results in up to 50% less evaporation loss compared to inferior oils, meaning drivers don’t need to top-up2 the oil as frequently.
• Effective even in extreme temperatures Even at -40 degrees Celsius thanks to enhanced viscosity features, this superior motor oil flows up to three times faster than required by the latest industry standard, allowing the engine to warm up quickly3 and reach optimum performance sooner. The oil also stays stronger for longer in extreme high temperatures to keep protecting the engine. It provides superior resistance to oil degradation, up to 32% better than the latest industry standard4. All of this helps drivers to be confident that their car can be relied on to go the distance.
1. Based on Sequence VG sludge test results using 0W-40
2. Based on ASTM D5800 NOACK volatility test
3. Compared with API SN specification and based on ASTM D4684
4. Compared with APISN specification and based on Sequence IIIG oxidation and deposit tests